Sunday 21 February 2010

The Snow must go on

As I am in hibernation (garage) training for the winter, this weeks snow has no impact on training whatsover.

I did venture out for a little run in the snow on friday though - well, to the garden centre to buy a sledge. Foolishly, one sledge was not going to be enough for two children, so it was another run to the garden centre to buy another! Some great little slopes in the local park which we will all be going down this afternoon.

Cycle training has gone very well recently, doing long sessions, and this easily compensates for my lack of running miles.

I am hoping that the curse of the hamstring has not returned. I have felt a twinge or two in recent weeks and so did not run on it for a week. I am going to see a recommended physio on Tuesday - and at £10 for an hour that's unbelievable value and hopefully can head this injury off before it begins.

It didn't stop my running fitness test yesterday though, although it did mean my 10k run was ended at 5 miles before I aggravated the leg (for once common sense prevailed). A 5 mile PB on the treadmill though of 26m 40s so I was pleased with that. The next barrier to break is the sub 26m 30s threshold. If both legs were 100% that would be do-able now.

It proves that not running but cycling hard can keep my fitness up and not affect performance, but I do need a speed session or two a week. I will throw in a cross trainer session at work this week that should strengthen the leg a bit.

Have been going through the race diary with Katy. My provisional plans are:

7 Mar - Centurion 5 mile
21 Mar - Market Bosworth (1485) Duathlon - 5k/21k/5k
28 Mar - East Leake Triathlon - 400m/20k/5k
11 Apr - Centurion 5 mile (will not run this if I have already won the Series - depends on 7 Mar result)
18 Apr - Derby Double Duathlon - 2k/10k/2k/10k/2k - will do this if have not raced on 11 April
25 Apr - Fountains Abbey 10k
9 May - Ripon 10 mile
30 May - Melmerby 10k
27 Jun - Rainton 10k

Right, got to go to get some high strength ibugel for the leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment