Thursday 18 March 2010

Sports Relief

Well, a week ago I was scheduled to race on 21 March in my first Duathlon of the year.

Then I remembered it was Sports Relief on 19 March (tomorrow) and that last year when I watched it I vowed to myself I would do something this year.

An email came round from work saying that people were taking it in turns to cycle for 5 mins on a cycle machine, with the aim to keep it going from 9-4pm. People can guess the total distance travelled for £1, and the Company will match it.

Putting my thinking cap on, I decided that I would walk from 9-4pm, and people can now guess how far I will walk in this 7 hour period as well! I am hoping to do a marathon along the canals of Birmingham but I will need to motor I think to achieve that. The rucksack will hinder me as well, although all those flapjacks and energy drinks will be needed. Just hope the weather is fine!

It looks like we will raise around £1,000 for Sports Relief which is great and I will have put something back into this life I take so much out of, and help those less fortunate than myself.

So, the Duathlon is a non-starter on Sunday. I'm sure I'll be exhausted after 7 hours of walking and racing Sunday is a recipe for injury, no matter how much I want to race. To compensate, I have entered for a 10 mile time trial on 5 April. The last race before Fountains - and means a 3 week break from races before Fountains so should be raring to go and hit Fountains hard.

The 10 mile runs I'm doing should make the 10k races a walk in the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment