Saturday 3 April 2010

Injury Rollercoaster

The last 36 hours have been traumatic.

On Friday I tried on my new lightweight Saucony Grid Type A3 trainers for a gentle 10 miles on the treadmill. Well, I say gentle, I mean around a 60 min 10 mile which I think is reasonable now.

About 6 miles in I felt a twinge in the right calf, and carried on for another 1/2 mile, knowing I had warmed up properly and was in fully fit shape an hour before. Then I couldn't carry on and stopped before I did some damage. I literally couldn't walk properly on my right leg and it felt like I'd strained or torn maybe a tendon, or trapped a nerve? Not such a Good Friday eh?

Ice to the ready, Ibugel, anything, a call to the physio.

This morning having had the ice pack on the leg was vastly improved, and a physio session at 9am has really helped. The cause we agreed was the new shoes so they are going on ebay and will be replaced by a pair of Adidas Adios shoes.

Not sure if I'll be able to race on Easter Monday (10 mile)but thanking my lucky stars that Fountains Abbey 10k should be fine.

Oh, nearly forgot about last week's race - first triathlon of the year. 12th (out of around 300), which was disappointing and great in equal portions. Only one swim in 4 months and managed a 7m 6s 400m, which is good for me (around 7m flat is my best), and was quickest in the 5k run. Cycling was mediocre thanks to the wrong wheel choice (a disc in windy conditions is a poor choice) which was due to my lateness in registering and no time to change the wheel, and then my chain came off in the race as I moved from low to high gears too quickly, another mistake by yours truly.

The good thing is that I was 12th due to making technical mistakes rather than physical ability. The technical errors can be ironed out and then the physical stuff takes care of itself. If I had technical ability but no physical ability then I'd be struggling. I do learn from every triathlon but as there is so much to learn it's tough to do a perfect race but one can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment