Tuesday 26 January 2010

Beetroot Juice!

Well, training has been going well. Over 3 weeks since my last race but probably the best 3 weeks of training I have (ever) had.

Because I compete in multi-sport, it's difficult to say how many "miles" I do a week, when compared to a pure runner, as I do a lot of cycling. I have upped my workload on the bike, so that my sessions are a minimum of 70 minutes. I will do two bike sessions a week. Once the better weather comes, I will be able to see how I'm progressing speed-wise on my favourite cycle route. Big news (for me anyway) is that the new thin (19mm) tubular tyre has been fitted on the front Zipp 808 wheel - it's just waiting for opportunity now to show me what it can do!

Been varying training somewhat. Good cycle sessions, and an increase in time spent on the cross-trainer on Monday night at work (45 minutes) as well. Throw in my Wednesday speed session and a weekend long run and the job's a good-un.

Not sure what I will be doing tomorrow night. I thought I'd bring forward my speed session to today to test where I was at and to see if I could break the magic 27 mins for 5 miles (8k) on the treadmill. The only problem with starting at 17kph is that this means a lot of work at the latter stages of the 5 miles to break 27 mins. I managed to claw a bit of time back and went through 5k in 16m 59s and then really needed to put the burners on the last mile, which I did and came home in 26m 56s. That means a 9m 55s last 3k which is pleasing.

The aim will be to somehow get down to 26m 30s in the next few weeks.

The funniest thing this week has been "Beetroot Juice". My triathlon bible says that an important factor in success in sport is support from loved ones. So, my wife had read an article on Beetroot Juice which apparently has lots of nitrates in it which helps your blood or does something to oxygen and gives you superstrength. I was then confronted with a bottle of Beetroot Juice and thought this will be a magic elixir. Unfortunately it tastes vile and I could only stomach half a bottle before it got tipped down the sink. So, back to the High5 carb/protein drinks! But I still have the love and support of my wife so I'll be fine.

My new British Triathlon handbook arrived today. This has all the races for the year (duathlon and triathlon) in so I'm busy planning races. I fully expect to do more running and duathlon rather than triathlon this year.

One element that helps my training and racing is the memory of the late (and great) Noel Groves. I often find when I'm wanting to quit at cycling or run slower, that Headteacher's voice nags in my ear "Now come on Mr Halliday, don't skip on your training, you are only cheating yourself". Noel is the father of one of my best friends (Andy, who lives Down-under) and died less than a year ago. I miss my friend's dad, but I will never forget him. He would have loved to hear about my races and probably compiled loads of historical stats on how I was improving or deteriorating and suggested areas to focus on! He still makes me laugh and cry in equal amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment