Wednesday 13 January 2010

High 5's all round

Well, this week's training plan has been pretty poorly worked out, in that it has happened as follows:

Sunday - 70 mins on bike - CORRECT!
Monday - 10 miles on treadmill - but was meant to be rest/ a few press ups!
Tuesday - Rest (well, 85 press ups and a few weights) - was meant to be an easy run/cross trainer!
Wednesday - Tough interval session on treadmill - CORRECT!
Tomorrow - Will now be 70 mins on bike (was meant to be rest!)

Who knows what is happening the rest of the week? But I've certainly put in some effort. The interval session went well tonight. My wife said she heard some very strange noises coming from the garage. No doubt passers by would confused as well. But the chances are they would be making worse noises than me after the 7th 800m at 5m 15s pace (18.5 kph). I probably did about 9 miles in total, with the warm up, with the 7 x 800m slow sessions being 6m 15s pace (15.2 kph). Last week was 6 x 800m fast/slow sessions so that's an extra mile of speed stored up somewhere.

I've started using the High 5 range of energy drinks and gels. A lot of the top triathletes and duathletes swear by them. The postman brought me a magic box of High 5 tricks today to build into my programme and races. I'm finding the 4:1 carb/protein drinks are very good and I recover from sessions (even tonights) quickly with no pain at all.

No races really on the horizon. Next one I think is the Centurian 5 mile series again where I was 2nd 10 days ago. Ashley Hurdman, an elite triathlete put me to the sword on the run clocking 27min 7s. That's probably 26min 30s on road as the Centurian race is multi terrain and a few bridges/gates to get through which really slow you down. If he races next time I have 23s to make up. A big ask but I'll give it a go. As Chrissie Wellington says "Fear no-one".

To be honest, I'm not too bothered about not racing and "Andino's" gym (well, my garage) is getting a lot of use. The membership rates are pretty good, especially with no overheads such as heating to worry about. But I am missing going on the road with my bike and using my armoury of wheels, none of which have seen open air for a good couple of months. Well, that's actually a lie as the Zipp 808 front wheel currently is at the bike shop getting a new tubular tyre put on it (19mm wide for extra speed). It's funny, my car needed a new tyre and I grumbled at the cost. My bike needs a new tyre which costs the same and it's perfectly fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment